Effective management of a business is critically consequent to the most vital pillar of financial planning and management. A meticulous understanding of postulates of financial analysis and planning serves as equipment to formulate strategic business decisions. Undoubtedly, with the advancement of technology in the financial sector, financial modeling has clearly become an essential skill set for financial professionals. This article conclusively guides you to the best Financial Modeling Courses in Malaysia, with an emphasis on the key learning outcomes, coursework, and the benefits gained by aspiring financial professionals and aficionados.
Malaysia has about 1000+ job vacancies available for different positions in the financial sector. The figure speaks for itself: there is a pressing requirement for competent financial wizards, who can revamp the business’s financial landscape with the spell of their capabilities and plan successful business strategies. The financial modeling courses in Malaysia give an upper hand to your resume.
When we talk about the financial aspects of any business, startup, corporation, or firm, whether small or large, all are looking for greater returns. It goes without saying that there are several revenue-generating hacks, cutting-edge strategies, and tools available in today’s technologically evolved world that the organization may effectually employ.
However, most startups and organizations fail to be familiar with the structures that govern growth and as a side effect invest large amounts of capital and resources expecting incremental results without resolving the underlying issues that impede the growth.
This is where Financial Modeling comes in to foster the financial health of any business prospects. Financial data is a hidden gem for a company. When utilized cleverly and consciously for devising future strategies, it leads to an effective enhancement of the company’s creditability. Financial professionals utilize their financial modeling abilities to develop distinct financial models purposely for decision-making.
Before delving into the list of best financial modeling courses in Malaysia, let us first understand the landscape of financial modeling and why it has become an attractive career and upskilling option for finance aficionados and professionals.
What is Meant by the Term Financial Modeling?
Financial Modeling is a process of making a summarized representation of a company’s financial metrics of the past, present, and predicted future, in the form of financial models. In other words, financial modeling demonstrates the financial impact and outcome of the business decision by taking into account the prospective funds of the company.
The Financial Models are basically forecasted financial statements that are, generally created in spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel to anticipate a company’s future financial and operational performances in varied circumstances.
Financial Modeling is the art and science of the decision-making process and can mean different things to different users of a company. Broadly speaking, financial modeling relates to two sides of financial management of a business concern, namely, accounting or corporate finance and quantitative finance.
Accounting or Corporate Finance- in the accounting or corporate finance sense, financial modeling usually involves the detailed preparation of financial statement forecasting models that are intended for decision-making. The application of financial modeling includes-
- Business valuation and stock valuation through the method of Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)
- Scenario Planning such as what if, what is, what was, and what has to be done.
- Operations Budgeting, Revenue forecasting, and analysis, treasury, asset, and liability management
- Capital Budgeting, including the cost of capital calculations
- Cash Flow Forecasting
- Ratio Analysis and Transaction Analysis
- Credit analysis, risk, impairment, and provision modeling
- Management Accounting
Quantitative Finance- in the quantitative sense, financial modeling brings about the establishment of phenomenal mathematical models that exhibits asset prices, market fluctuations, portfolio returns, and the like. This type of financial modeling is generally, anchored on quantitative financial management, quantitative asset pricing, financial engineering, and corporate finance. The application in this context includes-
- Option pricing and calculation of their volatility.
- Various Derivatives such as interest rates derivatives, credit derivatives, and exotic derivatives
- Credit Valuation Adjustment (CVA), Credit Risk and Credit Scoring
- Structure of product design and manufacture.
- Portfolio Optimization and Quantitative Investing
- Modeling of financial risk, stress testing, and sensitivity analysis
- Risk analysis of capital investment, real options
- Dynamic financial analysis (DFA) and investment modeling.
Thus, financial modeling or financial engineering is the decision-making tool used by entrepreneurs, corporate, and organizations to obtain an in-depth understanding of the business metrics and take successful financial decisions, in order to safeguard the business from potential risks and meet organizational objectives.
Financial Modeling Courses: The Need of the Hour
Given the nature of the work, financial professionals are obliged to work with a significant amount of financial data. These financial numbers are continuously needed to be monitored, analyzed, summarized, reported, and interpreted explicitly for measuring the profitable performance of any business concern.
However, the crux to maneuvering complex financial data efficaciously lies in the capability to organize and demonstrate such data prudently so as to make it functional to top management for decision-making.
For this purpose, financial professionals must possess intensive strategic and technical skills. They must be decisive, perspective, and know the latest tools and techniques to devise financial models that are in adherence to the business requirements. This is where financial modeling becomes, the need of the hour. In a fiercely competitive finance industry, financial professionals can only stay at the top of their career game if they are sharp as a tack.
Skill like financial modeling has become quintessential in current times which can get financial professionals an edge that is needed for their careers. The Financial modeling courses in Malaysia provide financial professionals and aspirants a gateway to unlock their successful career paths. The role of a financial professional is driven by a variety of dynamic and complex skills. A competent financial expert is expected to be skilled in various elements of financial nature.
Financial modeling courses in Malaysia can be extremely worthwhile because they provide learners with in-depth knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of financial modeling and MS Excel skills that are needed in financial domains such as investment banking, equity research, portfolio management, project finance, credit research, and financial planning & analysis.
Objectives of Financial Modeling Courses in Malaysia
- Recognize the key ways to develop a financial model keeping in mind the organizational requirements and establish best practices.
- Analyze the organization’s annual reports scrutinize the key performance indicators (KPIs) and interpret the financial data to predict future performances.
- Have knowledge of concepts related to interest and the value of money and their applications.
- Learn the fundamentals of Capital Investment
- Understand the maximum potential of MS Excel as a modeling tool and create robust models.
- Learn advanced features in MS Excel and build profitable business models to support the decision-making process.
- Compare and analyze various investment portfolio reports and financial statements in the right and efficient way.
- Gain an understanding of the basics of strategic financial planning and the application of modern financial modeling techniques.
Impact of Financial Modeling Courses in Malaysia
The financial modeling courses in Malaysia present learners with varied challenges of financial management and business environments that are cardinal to becoming competent and skillful financial managers. The learner gain-
- A deep grasp of the profitability and efficiency objectives is required for any business concern to flourish in a competitive environment.
- Excel mastery and skills in modern modeling techniques to tackle financial challenges and build financial models compatible with company and industry requirements.
- Enhanced understanding of an organization’s financial drivers.
- Caliber to model “what if” scenarios.
- Readiness and versatility to impact upon return on investment
- Improved career opportunities
- Superiority in the discussion, deciding best financial practices.
- Critical, problem-solving, and Logical thinking capabilities
Eligibility Criteria of Financial Modeling Courses in Malaysia
Financial modeling courses in Malaysia are so versatile that they are ideal for both novices and experienced finance professionals. The only ground rule or prerequisite to pursuing a financial engineering/modeling course in Malaysia is to have a desire to learn.
- Fresh graduates could reap the rewards of the financial modeling courses in Malaysia to head start a lucrative career in the finance domain.
- Working finance & non-finance professionals can acquire additional skills in financial modeling with the goal to upgrade the trajectory of their career as well as increase their job opportunities.
- Also, professionals such as CAs, CFAs, and FRMs, may take financial modeling courses to improve their knowledge and stay up-to-date with the latest changes in tools and techniques of financial management.
Other best courses in Malaysia:
- Content Writing Courses in Malaysia
- Digital Marketing Courses in Malaysia
- SEO Courses in Malaysia
- Creative Writing Courses in Malaysia
- Business Analytics Courses in Malaysia
Top 6 Financial Modeling Courses in Malaysia
Here is the List of best financial modeling courses in Malaysia that provides you with worldwide recognized certification and makes you industry competent.
1. IIM SKILLS
IIM SKILLS is the choicest Ed-Tech institution for online upskilling education in India. Since its incorporation, IIM SKILLS has upskilled 35000+ people inside and outside India through its high-quality extensive online learning and upskilling courses.
IIM SKILLS offers an extensive financial modeling course designed by finance industry experts that encompasses all the ins and outs of the financial sector. The course intends to facilitate the learners to obtain hands-on experience to cultivate the varied abilities of financial modeling.
The course framework includes 100+ hours of practical tasks, 5+ Case Studies, and 20+ hours of doubt-solving sessions which helps you harness crucial technical financial modeling skills and critical job-relevant skills.
Course name- Financial Modeling Course
Duration- 3 months of live online classes + 2 months of Internship
Fees- 2229.76 Malaysian Ringgit
Mode of learning- live-online classes
The syllabus of online financial modeling courses in Malaysia is divided into 6 Modules to deliver a comprehensive understanding of financial modeling. Following are the course modules-
- Module1- Basic and Advance MS Excel
- Module 2- Accounting Concepts and Financial Statements
- Module 3- Ratio/KPI Analysis
- Module 4- Technical Aspects of Financial Modeling
- Module 5- Different Types of Financial Models and their formulation
- Module 6- Business Valuation Methods
- Get recognized certification
- Gain critical, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Develop substantial financial and accounting skills
- Capable to design highly proficient financial models and strategies.
- Successfully conduct business valuation and prepare valuation reports for decision-making
- Equipped with aptitude and abilities to compete in global financial markets.
- Gain expertise in MS Excel and Python.
We all know UDEMY is a globally acclaimed knowledge provider. Udemy has been improving lives with effective skill development through its bundles of affordable educational courses in various categories. Udemy offers a comprehensive self-paced learning Financial Modeling course that educates with both theoretical as well practical aspects of financial modeling.
The course provides quality and quantitative training in MS Excel for finance valuation, ratio analysis, financial modeling, forecasting, and various valuation models and techniques including financial statements. this course from Udemy is highly recommended by top companies such as NASDAQ, Volkwagon, BOX, NetApp, and Eventbrite to their employees.
Course Name- Financial Modeling & Valuation in Excel- Complete Course
DURATION- 34 hours
FEES- $ 10
Mode of learning- online self-paced
- Foundational & Advanced EXCEL training for financial modeling
- Basics of Accounting, Accounting Statements, and Balance Sheets
- Methods of Cash Flow Analysis with Examples
- Concepts of Financial Valuation by methods of Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) and Relative Valuation and Forecasting
- Real-world Financial Modeling of Apple Inc.
- Includes 8 downloadable resources.
- Gain a recognized Certificate of Completion
- Learn financial modeling from basic to advance
- In-depth knowledge of various valuation techniques,
- Become skilled in formulating financial models from scratch
- Polished MS Excel skills
- Gain Competence in all types of company and industry analysis
- Gain expertise in conducting financial analysis and forecasting using the most commonly used DCF valuation techniques.
Coursera is another leading Ed-Tech platform that companies and organizations highly recommend to their employees for job-relevant online learning. Coursera has partnered with various universities on a global front to bring the best online learning service to your doorstep. That’s why Coursera is one of the top choices for Financial Modeling courses in Malaysia.
This financial engineering course in Malaysia is formulated and instructed by the highly experienced professors of the University of Pennsylvania. Understanding the dynamic role of financial professionals, the course seeks to master the learner in distinct skills ranging from basic knowledge of financial and non-financial statement indicators to a deeper knowledge of business and financial modeling.
The course equips the learner with abilities to make logical and informed financial decisions. The coursework is delivered through a series of short video lectures, demonstrations, tasks, and in-between quizzes. Since this is a self-paced online learning course, it gives the advantage of flexible schedules and deadlines to the students.
Course Name- Finance & Quantitative Modeling for Analysts Specialization
Duration- 4 months (2 hours/week)
Eligibility- No prior financial experience is required.
Fees- Free of cost
Mode of learning- online self-paced learning
The full course is segmented into 4 courses namely-
- Course 1- Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling which includes the topics- introduction to financial models, types of models, and their optimization.
- Course 2- Introduction to Spreadsheets and Models which includes the topics-
art and science of spreadsheets, creating models from spreadsheets, fixing uncertainties and probabilities in models, and implementations of various simulations like Monte Carlo and Optimizations.
- Course 3- Financial Acumen for Non-Financial Managers which includes- an overview of different financial statements and their systematic analysis with reference to deriving various financial models and linking non-financial data to financial performance.
- Course 4- Introduction to Corporate Finance which includes the topics- time value of money, Interest rates, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) Analysis, and Return on Investment.
- Shareable Course Specialization and Certificates
- Skilled to develop your own quantitative models
- Gain dynamic job-relevant skills
- Acquire the power of MS Excel to analyze and predict data
- Become a competent problem-solver and decision maker
4. Ernst & Young Virtual Academy
We all know Ernst & Young (EY) is a global leader in providing quality financial management and Tax consultancy services and ranks 3rd in the list of Top 10 accounting & audit firms in Malaysia. Owning to their purpose of “Building a better working world”, EY has come up with an e-learning platform that provides an array of business-driven short-period certification courses.
The EY Financial Modeling course is one of the most enviable courses in the financial universe. A team of senior finance experts from EY global member firms and industry experts has tailored the course to provide the learners with exposure to all key components of financial modeling and skills to produce the finest strategic alternatives for decision-making. Their financial modeling courses in Malaysia are delivered through recorded course videos and presentations.
Course name- Certificate in Financial Modeling and Valuation
Duration- 36 hours
Mode of learning- online
This course covers the following aspects of financial modeling-
- Concepts of modern financial modeling practices
- Designing and organizing financial models
- Sector-specific working of revenue and expenditure
- Understanding numerous alternatives to compute different line items comprising the financial statements
- Tax estimations
- Integration of various financial statements to represent a coherent result.
- Valuation methods and their implementation
- Exhibition of output in a meaningful manner
- An online exam to pass the course and attain certification.
- A recognized certificate of completion
- Ability to perform sound financial modeling
- Capability to conduct correct valuation and historical data analysis
- Skilled in creating robust and flexible financial models
- Confidence to prepare future projections of business and make well-informed strategic decisions.
- A deeper understanding of various valuation methods.
- Caliber to monitor and estimates the outputs of financial models.
- Able to identify key financial ratios and fruitfully integrate various financial statements.
- Online Financial Modeling Courses
- Financial Modeling Courses in Kenya
- Financial Modeling Courses in Melbourne
- Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
- Financial Modeling Courses in Sydney
- Financial Modeling Courses in Dublin
5. Corporate Finance Institute (CFI)-
Corporate Finance Institute (CFI) is the world’s pioneer provider of finance and banking education and productive solutions. CFI’s mission is to proliferate the skills, productiveness, and knowledge of finance and banking professionals all around the globe.
In order to accomplish their mission, CFI offers real-world skill development and practical training certification programs which are developed by experienced professionals who have worked in the world’s leading finance and banking organizations. In fact, CFI is among the Ed-Tech platform that is highly trusted by the world’s top companies like Citibank, Amazon, HSBC, Credit Suisse, J.P. Morgan, and many more.
CFI empowers students and professionals with advanced financial modeling talents through its industry-standard financial engineering course in Malaysia. Their financial modeling course is a self-study program that enriches the learners with the skills for practical financial analysis and the necessary tools and techniques to become a world-class next generation of financial experts.
The financial modeling program consists of-
- 41 courses
- 210+ interactive exercises
- Guided case studies
- Downloadable study materials
- Certification exam
- Digital Blockchain Certificate to verify your acquired skills
Course name- Financial Modeling and Valuation Analyst (FMVA)
Duration- 4 to 6 months, depending on your pace of learning
Fees- $497 (subscription fees for the year)
Mode of learning- online self-paced learning
As mentioned the FMVA course has 41 courses the completion of which is divided into the following steps-
Step 1- Prep courses– include 8 optional fundamental courses. The learner must choose any to learn or review the basics of the desired chosen topic. The courses are- accounting fundamentals, reading financial statements, MS Excel fundamentals & formulae for finance, basics of corporate fundamentals, math for corporate finance, analyzing growth drivers, responsibilities of a financial professional, and capital IQ fundamentals.
Step 2- Core courses- include 14 core courses which are compulsory and focused on building a solid foundation in the financial modeling and valuation field. The topics of the courses are-
- Basics of financial analysis
- Introduction to 3-statement modeling and business valuation
- Concepts of Accounting Standards & Standards
- Operational Modeling, DCF valuation Modeling, Comparative Valuation analysis,
- Budgeting and Forecasting, Monthly Cash flow forecasting model
- Business Scenario & Sensitivity Analysis in MS Excel
- Dashboards & Data Visualization
- MS Excel, PowerPoint & Pitch books
- Professional Ethics
Step 3- Elective Courses- include 19 specialization courses, out of which the learner can choose any 3 courses to obtain advanced-level modeling specializations. Some of the topics of the courses are- specialization in financial models & valuation of different sectors such as mining, real estate, e-Commerce, M&A, Leveraged Buyout, and Solar Energy; Amazon Case Study; Power BI, Power Pivot, Data Analysis in Excel Fundamentals, Regression Analysis & many more.
Step 4- The Final Exam- after the learners complete all the courses; the learner needs to take a final exam to obtain the certification in the financial modeling program from CFI.
- Determine key elements of financial statements, their connections, and fundamental principles of accounting standards, explaining their influence on financial statements and models.
- Capable to utilize keyboard shortcuts, advanced formulas for efficient MS Excel data analysis, and enhanced financial models.
- Ability to make strategic financial models around capital investments, capital-raising process, different forms of financing, and optimal capital structure that meet the goals of profitability, efficiency, higher returns, and value of a business concern.
- A deeper understanding of financial ratios, analytical tools, and other statistical measures to estimate patterns and correlations within financial data sets.
- Develop a dynamic, logical, and well-structured 3-statement financial model and conduct sensitivity and scenario analysis to improve the resilience of the financial model.
- Make multi-year projections for various financial statements.
- Gain a deeper understanding of various valuation methodologies and their pros and cons to perform valuation analysis.
6. CAD TRAINING CENTRE
For 15 years, CAD Training Centre in Selangor, Malaysia has been providing online & offline classroom training in finance-related courses. CAD Training Centre provides two types of short-term financial courses- Financial Modeling course and Financial Statement Analyst Course.
The course is taught by financial modeling instructors who have worked in big Malaysian Conglomerates and have gained a deep experience of 6+ years in financial fields such as corporate finance, financial modeling, and accounting.
The class size for each course batch is 3-8 students as they ensure personalized attention and guidance to the learners from the instructors. Additionally, they also offer free repeat classes. The learners acquire a certificate of achievement on the completion of the course.
Course Name- Financial Modeling Intermediate training.
Duration- 3 days
Fees- RM 2450
Mode of teaching- online and offline
The coursework covers all the concepts of financial modeling from the beginner level to the advanced level. The syllabus is as follows-
- What are Financial Models? (Introduction)
- Microsoft Excel (Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced)
- Case Study 1- Create a Financial Model for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SME)
- Concepts of Finacial Ratio Analysis
- Case Study 2- Prepare a Financial Model for a Public Listed company
- Case Study 3- Preparing Financial Model for Project Finance
- Financial modeling mistakes and rectifications.
- Gain a full understanding and application of financial modeling concepts
- Caliber to prepare infallible financial models for different types of enterprises
- Perform robust financial statement analysis and outline future projections
- Ability to conduct valuation analysis employing different techniques
- Confidence to carry out sensitivity analysis and scenario analysis
- Become an excellent problem-solver and decision-maker
Most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Financial Modeling Courses in Malaysia
Q1. I have no knowledge of MS Excel; can I join Financial Modeling Course?
A1. Of course, you are absolutely welcome! Financial Modeling courses incorporate complete knowledge of MS Excel software from basic to advance in their course curriculum. This course guides the learners on the best tips and tricks as well as the practices to formulate financial models using Excel formulae.
Q2. What are the top career opportunities available after completing the financial modeling courses?
A2. Post-pandemic layoffs, there is a high demand for Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) roles in Malaysia. After completing the course you can have a lucrative career in the following professions-
- Financial Advisor
- Wealth Specialist
- Investment Manager
- Private Banker
- Asset Manager
- Portfolio Manager
- Financial Planner
- Real Estate Planner
- Tax Advisor
- Retirement Planner
Q3. What is the monthly salary of a Financial Analyst in Malaysia?
A3. The monthly salary of a Financial Analyst in Malaysia may be conditional on factors such as work experience, qualifications, and the companies they work for. A Financial Analyst can expect to earn ranging from RM 4,000 to RM 6,000 per month.
Q4. Is financial modeling difficult to learn?
A4. Yes, it is! Creating profitable and productive financial models can range from quite simple to exhaustively complex. Because financial models are mostly reliant on historical data and future assumptions, getting calculations correct can be a mind-boggling task. However, with apt coaching and mentorships in financial modeling courses in Malaysia, one can be optimistic to learn this complex skill impeccably.