Financial Modeling is one of the most coveted but poorly understood skills in financial analysis. Sounds ironic, but that is the truth! Financial Modeling in the simple sense, juggling a lot of numbers to put it all together. Imagine producing a movie with several open threads and numbers moving from one sheet to another – that’s Financial Modeling. This article discusses the best financial modeling courses in Singapore.
It is more of an art form than financial science, and the assumptions may vary from person to person. However, the model can easily accommodate changes and updates, making it a beautiful endeavor.
Financial Services Transformation in Singapore
The Industrial Transformation Map (ITM) 2021- 2025 outlines growth strategies for Singapore to establish itself as a leading Asian financial hub, bridging international markets, fostering the growth of Asia, and bolstering the Singapore economy.
1. The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) forecasts that the financial industry will increase by 4% to 5% between 2021 and 2025, creating 3,000 – 4,000 net employment per year.
2. Five key strategies were outlined:
- Enhance Asset Class Strengths.
- Digitalized Financial Infrastructure.
- Catalyze Asia’s Net-Zero Transition.
- Develop the Financial Networks of the Future; and
- Foster a Skilled and Adaptable Workforce.
As a result of the rising demand for competent financial analysts, Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore have grown in prominence in recent years. These courses may shed light on the knowledge and skills you need to make better decisions, ranging from data analysis to market forecasting. This article will look at the advantages of taking a financial modeling course and how it will improve your employment.
What is Financial Modeling?
Financial modeling involves breaking down a company into smaller parts to gain a better understanding of how it works. Numbers and ratios are used to analyze successful operations, cost management, leverage, supply chain management, inventory management, and dividend policy.
Financial models are spreadsheets that predict a company’s future financial performance based on historical data. It requires creating a balance sheet, income statement, cash flow statement, and accompanying schedules. Some more advanced models can be built, such as discounted cash flow analysis, leveraged buyouts, mergers and acquisitions, and sensitivity analysis.
What is a Financial Model used for?
There are several financial models with numerous applications. It’s used both internally and externally for financial analysis and decision-making. Financial models are used to make judgments about:
- Business units and assets are being divested.
- Forecasting and budgeting (planning for the future)
- Investing in projects based on their capital allocation
- Calculating the worth of a company
- Financial statement/ratio analysis
- Making purchases (of businesses and/or assets)
- Management Accounting
- Obtaining funding (debt and equity)
- Organic expansion of the company (e.g., opening new stores, entering new markets, etc.)
What Are the Typical Features of a Financial Model?
The financial model generally includes four major features:
- Balance sheets
- Income statements
- Cash flow statements
- Debt schedules
However, the application of the model may alter the emphasis given to a specific financial statement. For instance, management consultants can put more emphasis on increasing revenue and pay more attention to the variables that affect income.
What Are the Types of Financial Models?
Financial models come in many forms. The top ten models that financial modeling experts frequently use in corporate finance are outlined in this guide.
1. Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) Model
A widely used approach to business valuation in which a company’s future free income is projected to determine its net present value. The sum of a company’s projected future free income is used in equity research and capital markets to calculate its estimated value.
2. Leveraged Buyout (LBO) Model
A company is acquired solely based on debt, and complex debt schedules are created. This financial model is used in private equity and investment banking. It is among the most layered Financial Models due to the need for circular references and cash flow materials.
3. Merger Model (M&A)
This sort of financial model is used for mergers and acquisitions to understand the effect of securing the acquirer’s Earnings per Share (EPS) and how it compares to the current one. If the new EPS is higher, the exchange is classified as accretive, while if it is lower, it is classified as dilutive.
Other types of financial models include:
- Budget Model
- Consolidation Model
- Forecasting Model
- Initial Public Offering (IPO) Model
- Option Pricing Model
- The sum of the Parts Model
- Three-Statement Model
Skills Required for Financial Modeling Training
The creation of a financial model can only be successful if it provides accurate and reliable results. To be efficient in creating a model, one should have a set of necessary skills.
1. Understanding of Accounting Principles
Accounting is a pure financial document that uses financial numbers from a company or market. Understanding accounting rules and principles are essential to maintain accuracy and quality. The primary focus is to identify and predict accounting malpractices.
2. Excel Skills
Excel Skills are essential for Financial Modeling. It involves complex calculations spread over multiple tabs and requires an in-depth working knowledge of formulas, keyboard shortcuts, presentation varieties, VBA Macros, etc. Keeping knowledge of these skills gives an analyst an edge in their working skills.
3. The interrelationship of financial model statements
Interlinking allows vital numbers to flow from one statement to the next in the model. It completes their interrelationship and provides a comprehensive picture of the financial situation. Examples include:
- The net change in cash
- The net income statement, and
- Retained earnings on the stockholders’ equity statement
Forecasting financial models important for gaining an understanding of the future scenario of a financial situation. It is both an art and a science and requires reasonable assumptions to get an accurate idea of how attractive an investment or business will be in the coming period. Good forecasting skills increase the reliability of a model.
Financial Modeling is a complex tool used by different groups, such as operational managers, management, and clients. It is important to keep the model simple and rich in detail, as this will help them understand the meaning of the model.
Applications of Financial Modeling
There are lots of businesses that use Financial Modeling and it has a huge scope. Here are some prominent areas where Financial Modelling is used:
- Venture Banking/Equity Research
Financial modeling is an important tool for business valuation, as investment brokers use it to estimate stocks and value analysts use it to make purchases, sell or hold suggestions.
- Task Finance/Credit Rating
A loan or credit assessment process can be expanded by assessing an undertaking’s practicality.
- Corporate Finance
Financial models contribute to subsidizing corporate plans by assessing funds and undertakings.
- Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses
Financial Modelling is an important tool for small businesses and start-ups to assess their expenses & revenues and strategize for the long run.
Scope of Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
A financial modeling course is introduced to make youngsters employable and adequately equipped with the necessary skills. It exposes students to financial industry tools and software and helps to apply them effectively. The course curriculum is updated frequently so that students don’t miss out on any concept.
And it will expand their horizons and make them aware of the fields that have emerged in the realm of finance. In addition, the most crucial tool used in accounting and finance, MS Excel will be covered in detail.
Career Opportunities Following Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
- Bank Manager
- Equity Research Analyst
- Financial Modeler
- Investment Banker
- Risk Manager
- Tax Collector
Top Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
Financial modeling courses are available in Singapore but finding the right one can be difficult. When comparing the curriculum and fees, make sure the course covers all the topics you are interested in and is affordable for you.
Choosing the right financial modeling course can make a big difference in your career, allowing you to make more informed decisions and build a solid foundation for your future.
Rank #1. Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
1. IIM SKILLS
IIM SKILLS is considered one of the most reputed and trusted institutes around the globe due to its high efficiency of courses. It has highly trained experts who provide students with the professional skills and attitudes required to excel in the field of work. The institute’s financial modeling course is currently one of the best online courses available.
Course Name: “Financial Modeling Master Course”
Course Fee: SGD708.63
Course Duration: 3 months + 2 Months Guaranteed Internship
Financial Modeling Course Syllabus:
- Basic and Advanced Excel Training
- Accounting Concepts and Financial Statements
- Ratio/KPI Analysis
- Basics of Financial Modeling
- Types of Financial Modeling
- Business Valuation
Benefits of completing this course:
- More than 100 hours are dedicated to practical training.
- Practical training along with case studies will help you to understand the real market scenario.
- Internship opportunities provide a training ground to develop skills in real and practical situations.
- Lifetime LMS access at no extra cost.
Customer Care No: +91 9580 740 740
Email: [email protected]
Rank #2. Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
2. Singapore Management University (SMU)
The institute provides practical Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore to help students find suitable jobs. It is a comprehensive application-oriented course that will help them understand the financial industry. There is continuous interaction between students and teachers via offline classroom education.
Course Name: “Practical Financial Modeling and Valuation”
Course Fee: SGD 1712.00
Course Duration: 2 days
- Principles to Modeling
- Building Financial Models
- Accessing the Impact of Strategic decisions
- Valuations in Negotiations and Decision Making
Benefits of completing this course:
- You will carry out the scenario as well as sensitivity analyses based on different and diverse business drivers.
- There will be a complete practical understanding of the industry.
- A test is given to evaluate your skills. The test type will be determined by the trainer.
- Hands-on training in MS Excel, since it is the most important tool used in the finance and accounting industry.
- Sponsors & funding to help students with a course at a cheaper rate.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +65-6828 0971
Rank #3. Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
3. Corporate Finance Institute (CFI)
CFI is one of the best providers of online financial certification programs. Their financial modeling courses in Singapore combine theory and practical, real-world skills. All programs are online and self-paced, allowing participants to learn and enhance their skills, whenever and wherever they want.
Course Name: “Financial Modeling and Valuation Analyst (FMVA)”
Course Fee: USD 592.90 (billed annually)
Course Duration: Self-paced
- 19 courses with over 1060 lessons
- 90+ interactive exercises with guided simulations
- Expert instructors for the best learning experience
- Revise your learning with the latest courses every month
- Blockchain certification to validate your skills
- 500,000+ 5-star ratings
- Build a two-stage DCF business valuation model
- Build a model that forecasts FP&A cash flow monthly
- Build a financial model to analyze the operation of a business
- Build a mergers & acquisitions model and leverage buyout (LBO) model
- Build a real estate financial model
- Build a start-up company model
- Build a mining financial model
- Build a renewable energy financial model
Phone Number: 1-(800)-817-7539
Email Address: [email protected]
Rank #4. Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
Since 2013, Nexacu has been providing high-quality, hands-on Microsoft application training to qualified end-users throughout Australia and New Zealand, and more recently in Southeast Asia. Nexacu achieved Gold Partner status to demonstrate expertise and knowledge to Microsoft, benefiting students.
Course Name: “Excel Financial Modelling”
Course Fee: SGD 450.00
Course Duration: 1 Day
- Lookup Functions
- Defined Names
- Validating Data
- Formula Referencing
- Logical Functions
- Financial Functions
- Date and Time Functions
- Complex Formulas
- Math Functions
- Protecting Data
- Goal Seeking
- Modeling Techniques
- Projects (x6)
- The course is delivered via remote training.
- The course curriculum is original and based on the most recent market changes.
- Upon course completion, you will be able to construct your financial models, grasp the appropriate Excel rules, and use them in your job.
Phone: +65 3106 4600
- Financial Modeling Courses in Sydney
- Financial Modeling Courses in Melbourne
- Financial Modeling Courses in Auckland
- Financial Modeling Courses in Australia
- Financial Modeling Courses in Dubai
- Financial Modeling Courses in Hong Kong
Rank #5. Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
Singapore is a hub for innovation and financial institutions, which makes KnowledgeHut’s Financial Modeling Course an ideal choice. It is an e-learning program that covers the basics of Microsoft Excel’s applications in finance. Coached by trained faculty professionals, the institute is often trusted by students.
Course Name: Financial Modeling with Excel
Course Duration: 24 Hours
Course Fee: Upon request
- Modeling Architecture
- Sample Detailed Case
- Timeline Modeling
- Financial Structure
- Debt Schedule
- Revenue & Capex
- Integrating Financials
- Cost drivers
- Dividends & taxes
- Ratio Analysis
- Circularity Switch
- Simple Macros, Bond Valuation
- Financial Modeling Projects – Find the right approach for all your financial modeling projects.
- Excel for Accounting – Use Excel to create skeleton structures, table of contents, calculations, and error check pages.
- Work Around Risk – Understand model sensitivities and scenarios, breakeven, what-ifs, and paybacks.
- Ratio Analysis – Conduct ratio analysis to interpret financial statements and assist management in making long-term decisions.
- Balance Sheet Skills – Get expert tips on the treatment of assets and liabilities and become a pro in balancing sheets.
Rank #6. Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
6. The Knowledge Academy
The Knowledge Academy is the world’s largest and most established provider of training courses globally, with the capability to deliver over 30,000 courses, in 1000+ locations, across 190 countries.
They have successfully trained over 1 million delegates and invested in each delegate to develop long-lasting relationships and prepare them to be responsible contributors to the digital age. Axelos, BCS, Microsoft, The Open Group, and APMG are just a few of its clientele.
Course Name: Financial Modeling Training
Course Duration: 1 Day
Course Fee: Starts from SGD 1495
Module 1: Introduction to Financial Modelling
- What is Financial Modelling?
- Uses of Financial Model
- Importance of Financial Models
- Steps to Build a Financial Model
- Types of Financial Modelling
- Financial Modelling Skills
Module 2: Valuation
- Valuation Methods
- Comparable Analysis
- Precedent Transactions
- DCF Analysis
- More Valuation Methods
Module 3: Excel
- Excel Shortcuts
- Excel Formulas Check Sheet
- Advanced Excel Formulas and Functions
Module 4: Data Dashboard
- What is a Data Dashboard?
- Dashboard Visualization
- Types of Data Dashboard
- Benefits of Using Data Dashboards
- How do Data Dashboards Work?
Module 5: Presentation
- What is a Pitchbook?
- How a PitchBook is Created?
- Types of Pitchbooks
Module 6: Uses of Financial Modelling
- Risk Management
- How do Financial Modellers Define Risks?
- Common Approaches to Risk Modelling
- Financial Forecasting
- Budgeting Vs Financial Forecasting
Tel: +65 6929 8747
Email: [email protected]
Rank #7. Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
7. Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
The Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA) is the national accountancy body of Singapore, with over 33,000 members making their stride in businesses across industries in Singapore and around the world. Established in 1963, ISCA is an advocate of the profession’s interests and leverages its regional expertise, knowledge, and networks to contribute towards the advancement of the accountancy profession.
The Chartered Accountant of Singapore – CA (Singapore) – designation is conferred by the Designated Entity. ISCA is a member of CCA Worldwide, a global family of leading institutes.
Course Name: Financial Modelling & Analysis
Course Duration: 2 Days
Course Fee: For Members: SGD 604.80
For Non-Members: SGD 725.76
Financial Model 1: Building Loan Simulator
- Financial Functions: PMT, CUMIPMT
- Create Combo Box, Check Box, Scroll Bar
- Understand the principles behind the design
- Enhancing the model with innovative Excel functionalities
Financial Model 2: Creating Financial Forecast & Projections
- Balance Sheet
- Profit & Loss
- Cash Flow Projections
- Fixed Asset
- Supporting Work Sheets
- Macro Recording
Financial Model 3: Building Project Appraisal Model
- Net Present Value (NPV)
- Internal Rate of Return (IRR)
- Payback Period
- Integrating various Excel Functions
- Scenario Manager & Summary
- Financial Functions: NPV, IRR, Payback
- IF Function
- Multiple IF Function
- Group & Ungroup
- MATCH Function
- Creating Form – Combo Box
- Understand Basic Macro
- Assigning Macro to Box
- Sheet Protect
Students should be able to:
- understand the dos and don’ts of creating a financial model using Excel
- systematic develop financial models in Excel
- utilize several Excel functions to improve the financial models
- create a yearly financial forecast with detailed spreadsheets for future changes.
Rank #8. Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
8. Knowles Training Institute
Knowles Training Institute is a World-class training & development solutions provider that specializes in identifying people, processes, and problems that hinder organizations from achieving optimal results. They evaluate, design, develop and deliver training programs that solve these problems through a wide range of learning solutions.
Course Name: Financial Modeling In Excel
Course Duration: 2 Days
Course Fee: Standard – SGD 789.97
Premium – SGD 889.97
- What is Financial Modeling?
- How to Build a Financial Modeling
- Why use Excel for Financial Modeling?
- Beginners Guide to Excel
- Using Excel to build a Financial modeling
- Using formulas and calculations to create a financial modeling
- Using tables and Charts in Excel
- Designs and templates for an effective financial modeling
- Using Excel’s functions to develop financial modeling
- Excel shortcuts that can speed up making financial modeling reports
- How to organize Data in the Excel
- Factors to avoid while creating a financial modeling
Benefits of completing this course:
- Understanding what is Financial Modeling
- Ability to create financial models
- Learn how to use Excel to create effective financial modeling.
- Learn how to use Excel’s fundamental features
- Learn how to design financial models in Excel.
- Understand how to use basic calculations and formulas in Excel.
- Possess the ability to convert Excel data into tables and charts.
- Learn about the various designs and templates that can be used for financial modeling.
- Learn how to use Excel functions to present financial modeling reports.
- Learn about the various shortcuts that can be used to make Excel more efficient and effective.
- Capable to plan and develop a financial modeling presentation using Excel
- Recognize the pitfalls to avoid while producing an Excel Financial Modeling report.
Phone number: +65 6935 7406
Email Id: [email protected]
Q1: What are the advantages of financial modeling?
Ans: Financial modeling helps to assess the value of a business and gain an in-depth knowledge of its assets and revenues. It helps with risk elimination and minimization, budgeting, forecasting, and making judicious investment decisions. Finally, it determines the exact free cash flow for the company and makes strategic decisions for the future of the company.
Q2: What are some limitations of financial modeling?
Ans: Financial modeling is an advantageous tool for creating financial models, but it has limitations such as assumptions that can lead to incorrect analysis. In addition, it cannot accurately predict how various laws and regulatory changes may affect the company’s operations in the future. To mitigate these issues, financial models should be prepared based on audited financial statements to ensure that all material errors in the financial statements are eliminated.
Q3: How Is a Financial Model Validated?
Ans: Errors in financial modeling can cause expensive mistakes. For this reason, a financial model may be sent to an outside party to validate the information it contains. To reassure the end user that the calculations and assumptions contained in the model are accurate and reliable, banks and other financial institutions, project promoters, equity houses, and others may ask for model validation.
When it comes to financial models, there isn’t a simple solution or advice. There is no single financial model that can be applied in all circumstances; rather, each scenario calls for a different financial model. This is the ideal opportunity to review your knowledge of this dynamic subject. We hope that this list has helped you choose the most appropriate Financial Modeling Course. Best of luck with your academics.