As the world of technology keeps expanding to newer and vast dimensions, now including the rise of Artificial Intelligence in various fields, the need to bridge the communication gap between technologically sound people and the general audience is increasing. The technical writing courses bring this opportunity to anyone who wants to build this bridge. The technical writing courses in Coimbatore allow you to build all the skills necessary for the role and make you job ready.
Technical Writing: An Introduction
Any writing that describes a piece of complex, specialized, or technical information such that anyone with a bare minimum of knowledge in the particular area is able to understand, is called Technical Writing. As an extension of technical communication, this type of writing is mainly used in fields like engineering, robotics, electronics, digital technology, science, medicine, computer software, and hardware technologies, etc.
Although the term ‘Technical’ writing may seem like it is only used in the technological fields, this type of writing can be found in business or any other field where complex ideas and theories are discussed and used, as these can include memos, product descriptions, business reports or proposals, datasheets, etc. Technical writing courses in Coimbatore prepare you well for the industry demands.
Why Do We Need Technical Writing?
Technical writing is done by technical writers who can convey a set of complex information to the general audience in the simplest form possible. The audience may be an experienced person who is just expanding his/her knowledge in the field or someone with no prior knowledge on the matter seeking a solution to a specific problem.
Technical writing is required to make any reader understand the information they’re looking for, whether it be on how to use a newly purchased microwave, file IT returns, explore medical conditions, read about the latest GST changes, etc. Technical writing courses in Coimbatore cover all necessary topics.
Characteristics of Good Technical Writing
As with any type of writing, technical writing also has a few specific characteristics that make it easy to differentiate it from other types of writing. These include:
a) Know Your Audience: This could be true for any type of writing but is important even more in technical writing, as the writer should keep in mind that the audience can range from a new couple buying a coffee machine for the first time to a surgeon catching up on the latest medical discoveries.
b) Clarity: The work should be clear in what information it’s relaying. Technical writers spend the most time researching the topic to write in short and crisp form so that it is easily understandable and also avoids confusion. The writers also avoid any jargon as the audience could be a beginner as well.
c) Cut To The Chase: The work should as accurate as possible without having any unnecessary additional or wrong information. Too much information can confuse or frustrate the reader, and wrong information can lead to a disaster.
d) Structured: Most audiences use technical writing as a step-by-step instruction manual, in which case, the best way to convey the information is through bullet points and diagrams. The use of headings, subheadings, and numbered lists can also make the data to be in very structured and easy to understand manner.
e) Visuals: Adding charts, figures/diagrams, flowcharts, pie charts, etc. can bring so much more clarity to technical text-heavy writing, no matter if it’s an instruction manual or a business proposal, or a finance report. Visualizations of the data make it much easier to understand.
Types of Technical Writing
The main four types of technical writing include:
- End-user documentation – This type of technical writing can be majorly found in the form of small handbooks that usually come with a new software technology or an electrical appliance that is bought. It entails the details of how to use the software/ device, the main “dos, and don’ts”, safety precautions, storage details, and cleaning details if required. These user manuals can also contain details of legal disclaimers, website help centers, etc.
- Process documentation – This type of technical writing is mainly used for internal communication in an organization, whether it be a step-by-step process guide for something, technical details regarding the working of a machine, KPI and goal setting, updates on any HR policies, business proposals or new ideas, etc. It can also be financial or corporate reports, made in a way that is easily understandable by anyone in the company hierarchy. As such, such reports will usually have visualizations, like charts, graphs, and pie charts.
- Marketing documentation – Every product purchase is vastly dependent upon how well it is marketed and made aware of it to the prospective customers. Technical writers need to be able to communicate in a user-friendly manner to explain the product and its benefits and increase brand awareness to the general audience. This is a type of technical marketing communication that usually comes under the umbrella term of “B2B” (business to business) writing.
- In-depth documentation – This is a mix of different types of writing, that includes white papers, research papers, legal documents, case studies, and literature reviews. These are meant for a more expert-level audience in the respective field of subject for a piece of in-depth knowledge on any specific topic.
Steps Involved in Technical Writing
Wondering how to write a good technical paper? You will learn in detail in any technical writing courses in Coimbatore but given below are the steps usually followed to make a good technical paper:
1. Research – Technical writers need to do a lot of research on the topic they’re writing about. Most of the details may already be given by the marketing, on what data needs to be added but if you think you need any additional details, you can always talk to the stakeholders or the subject matter experts (SMEs), or anyone involved in the process of development and design of the product to know more about the product and its specifications and benefits.
In other cases, you can also study legal contracts to ensure you know and include the product safety details also. Keep your potential readers in mind while writing, so that it will be understood by them, using visuals and graphics as and when necessary.
2. Prepare the structure of the document –
In this phase, make a proper outline of how to write the data, along with a well-defined Table of Contents. Having a proper backbone makes it easier to fill the data accordingly, although you can expect the need to modify things if the document needs some fine-tuning.
3. Drafting –
This is the actual technical writing part. Note the proper use of language and grammar when writing. The document should be to-the-point without any unnecessary extra wording.
4. Reviewing the document –
Once the draft is ready, it is usually submitted to the Subject Matter Experts or to the marketing team. This will not only validate the information given in the document but also check any spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes that the writer could’ve missed.
5. Release – Once the document is reviewed and any necessary changes were made and good to go, all that is left is for it to be published.
Why Take the Technical Writing Courses in Coimbatore?
Before enrolling in any course, it’s natural to look for the reasons why it will be a good idea or not, and if doing this course is worth our time, effort, and money. For one thing, anyone can apply for the course, the bare minimum eligibility is having an analytical mind that is able to understand the complex technical information, and has a good hold of the language that is used to communicate the information with.
Anyone who is a content writer, hardware, and software engineer, technical documentation engineer, or people with a marketing background or an IT background can also apply. Some of the reasons to take technical writing courses in Coimbatore are:
- With the increase in industries and research being conducted, it becomes necessary to have a technical writer who can help market the product or make the public aware of any new updates or news.
- The era of digitalization has made it even easier to get information to prospective customers, which first has to be written.
- Having technical writing skills makes it easier to understand and branch out to other forms of writing as well.
- This is a short-term course that is available online as well.
The career opportunities you can have after completing technical writing courses in Coimbatore are:
- Manual writers
- Policy writers
- Web writers
- Documentation specialists
- Content developers
- Technical trainers
Find here the other best courses in Coimbatore:
Top Technical Writing Courses in Coimbatore
1. IIM SKILLS –
As one of the top educational institutes in India, IIM SKILLS is the first on the list for technical writing courses in Coimbatore. The Technical Writing Course curriculum of IIM SKILLS is unique courseware prepared by expert technical writers having extensive experience in this field. The carefully curated course content ensures that the participants will be job ready after completion.
The Skillset You Can Earn From the Course Are:
- Technical writing
- Creative design
- Technical documentation
- Versioning and Referencing
The Syllabus Includes the Following:
- Introduction (60 mins): This module gives an introduction to what and how technical writing is, the role of a technical writer, types of documents, content categories, etc.
- How to Write (180 mins): This module explores audience analysis, topic research, the tools to research with, adding the research, and finally writing of the document.
- Creating your content (180 mins): This module takes you deep into writing the document, referencing, indexing, plagiarism, editing, and reviewing, along with all the necessary tools like MS Word, SciHub, Science Direct, PubMed, Evernote, Grammarly, Canva, MS Visio, Dejagonzier, Unsplash, Freepik, Hemmingway, otter, WordHippo, Thesaurus, etc.
- Technical Reports (60 mins): This module explores the purpose – types of reports, preparing the report, best practice, etc., and some examples – manufacturing, software, and service.
- White Papers/ Journals (90 mins): This module will take you through the basics of white paper – its purpose, styling, how to prepare a white paper, its elements included, etc., along with some examples. It also gives details about technical journals – their purpose, introduction, what, how, and why they’re used, materials and methods, discussion, etc., along with some real-world examples.
- Conversational Writing (60 mins): In this module, you will go through the practices and various aspects of technical writing – versioning and conversational writing, its purpose, style, forums, and examples in manufacturing, software, service, and common.
- DDLC & Versioning (90 mins): This module deals with the life cycle of a document and versioning, along with the tools involved.
- Reviewing & Publishing (90 mins): This involves an introduction to the stages of review and publishing tools.
- API documentation using XML (120 mins): This module includes DITA authoring, markdown language, XML, and the various tools involved.
- Datasheets, User Manuals, and Application Notes (120 mins): Other than datasheets, user manuals, and application notes, this module also deals with factsheets, technical proposals, and patent writing, with various examples for most.
- Effective Writing (60 mins): This deals with the basic grammar, formatting, and punctuation guidelines.
- Medical Writing: This module explains how to write medical blogs and medical writing, medical journals, the types of charts used in them, and how to write material and methods.
- Case Study – Application notes from Texas (120 mins)
Some Other Key Features Are:
- 1-month internship opportunity
- Practical assignments that ensure hands-on experience
- Lifetime support
- Lifetime access to all materials
- 5 weeks of an online class that costs INR 14900 + 18% GST
2. Technokraft –
Next on the list of top technical writing courses in Coimbatore is an institute that was founded in 2003, Technokart has long since been established as a training hub for training in Technical Writing and Instructional Design. Many major IT companies rely on Technokart for their documentation work, corporate training, and placement services.
The course concepts and the tools to be used are both given equal importance in this course. As such, the training will give an in-depth understanding of technical writing concepts and theories and apply those concepts to the tools.
Some of the Key Features of the Course Concept Are:
- The course gives hands-on experience with tools like Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe RoboHelp, MS Visio, Snagit, MS Word, HTML, and XML.
- This advanced-level course also gives exposure to many other tools like DITA, Adobe Articulate, Adobe Captivate, and Adobe Illustrator.
- The assignments are evaluated at the industry-level standards.
- Presentations are done by the trainees on any given concepts and tools, which also help with their research capability as well as increase public speaking skills and overall presentation skills.
- Study materials are given.
- Evaluation exams are conducted at the end of the course.
- Certificates are given upon successful completion of all necessary requisites.
- Mock interviews are conducted to better prepare trainees for the actual job interviews.
3. ECT –
Third on the list of top technical writing courses in Coimbatore is Education & Career Times (ECT), a training institute recognized by the Government of India. From its Delhi headquarters, it had trained people from major multinational organizations from all over the world.
The Modules Common for Both Are:
- Introduction to Technical Writing
- Grammar & Styling in Technical Writing
- Information Architecture
- Master a Markdown Language
- Learn XML
- Learn JSON
- Learn DITA
- Document Authoring Tool – Oxygen XML Editor
- Technical Authoring Tool – MadCap Flare
- API Documentation
- Agile Documentation Strategy
- Careers in Technical Writing
- Contributing to Open Source Projects
- Other Useful & Beginner-Friendly Tools
They give assignments, live projects, and quizzes to get you job-ready, and a certificate upon course completion.
- Online Technical Writing Courses
- Technical Writing Courses in India
- Technical Writing Courses in Chennai
- Technical Writing Courses in Bangalore
- Technical Writing Courses in Kolkata
- Technical Writing Courses in Pune
4. Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning (SDCL) –
Up next on the list of technical writing courses in Coimbatore is the Symbiosis Center for Distance Education. Since its launch in 2001, the SDCL has always provided quality education to its students. It is one of the most sought-after distance learning institutes in India.
SDCL provides a Post Graduate Diploma in Technical Writing in Business Management (PGDTWBM) course, which gives training to individuals to perform tasks required by industries in technical communication. This course includes both theoretical and practical sides of Technical Writing.
This 2-year Course is Divided Into 4 Semesters:
Semester I –
- English Grammar
- Introduction to Technical Communication
- Technical Writing Style and Editing
- Information Development Life Cycle – I
- Information Development Life Cycle – II
Semester II –
- Technical Communication Software Tools
- Technical Communication Project Management
- Advanced Concepts in Technical Communication
- Principles and Practices of Management
Semester III –
- Business Communication
- Introduction to Creative Writing in Business Communication
- Instructional Design for Business Communication
- Advanced Documentation Types and Processes
Semester IV –
- Advanced Technical Writing Tools
- Research Methodology
Some Other Notable Points Are:
- Anyone with a Bachelor’s degree or awaiting final-year results from a recognized University can apply.
- International/ SAARC graduates from a recognized Institution/ University can also apply.
- The program is known to produce competent technical individuals who can communicate and be responsible at every task and every level of the profession.
- The program also aims at the development of creativity, an eye for detail, and process discipline among its students.
- PGDTWBM is an AICTE-approved program
- For General, the program fee is INR 50,000.
5. Henry Harvin Technical Writing Course –
Next on the list of technical writing courses in Coimbatore is an institute that has won the Best Corporate Training Platform Award, Henry Harvin. Operating since 2013, with offices across India (Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kochi, etc.) and across the world, it has a strong team of more than 400 employees and 650+ consultants.
Henry Harvin provides a cutting-edge Technical Writing course that takes you through the art of transforming data and information accumulated through a process into technical documentation and also guides. The course helps you master the ability to convert complex technical details to simple, clear, and well-structured documents.
This 36-hour Course is Divided Into 10 Modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to Technical Writing
- Module 2: Documentation Process
- Module 3: Technical Writing Process
- Module 4: Grammar and Editing
- Module 5: Technical Writing Software Tools
- Module 6: Components of a Technical Document
- Module 7: Technical Writing Techniques
- Module 8: Overview of formats of Technical Documents
- Module 9: How to create Technical Document Template
- Module 10: Advanced Technical Writing tools
All the Tools Related to the Course Are Also Covered. Some Other Key Features Are:
- Internship assistance to gain the practical know-how
- Placement interview opportunities
- Access to #AskHenry Hackathons and competitions
- Access to all tools and video materials
- of India-certified Certificate
- The program costs INR 17500
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are the eligibility criteria for applying for any technical writing courses in Coimbatore?
Unless it is specifically mentioned in any course site that it requires a Bachelor’s degree, usually there are no specific eligibility criteria for applying.
2. Do I need to know any programming languages for technical writing?
No, it’s not necessary to know any programming languages. There is plenty of information to be written and passed on that does not involve any programming background.
3. What is the average salary of a technical writer in India?
The average annual salary is INR 5.7 lakhs, but it can vary with your experience.
In the present world, where everyone always seems to be hyperaware of every ingredient and component present in the product they buy, reading the product description and ingredient list, comparing products according to the ingredients/ components involved to buy the best one, it’s natural that the same demand will be there when buying electrical/ technical products.
Hence, it has become even more in demand for IT companies, healthcare companies, research fields, etc., to have a technical writer who can communicate with the general public or specific experts in equal measure. Above mentioned are only 5 institutes offering technical writing courses in Coimbatore, there are others also. These online courses are a good opportunity to up your skills from the comfort of your home while making you job-ready. So select your favorite institute from the list and apply now.