Are you based in Glasgow and looking for creative writing courses? If yes, then this article is for you. There are different universities and colleges that offer creative writing courses in Glasgow. There is a great demand for innovative and insightful articles among readers, and a creative writer can write different types of articles. We will provide all the information about creative writing courses in Glasgow. Let’s understand the meaning of creative writing first.
As per the definition of a dictionary, creative writing means any original writing that presents ideas and concepts in a unique manner. Some scholars define it as the art of making things up, both these definitions are very easy. Also, creative writing is used to describe a wide range of topics and genres, so it is difficult to give an exact definition of creative writing.
As the word, creative writing can be defined as anything that revolves around being imaginative or creative. This category includes both fictional and non-fictional works, including novels, biographies, short tales, and poems.
Besides, genres like feature stories, which belong to the category of journalism can be regarded as creative writing. The process involves using one’s intellect and thoughts to create a captivating piece. Each person has their creativity and unique thoughts/opinions on different topics.
Any writer can carve stories that are distinct from each other. Therefore, the best way to gain clarity is to understand other types of writing too. This can be done by comparing it with different forms of creative writing.
Types of Creative Writing
As we saw above, creative writing is any original writing that brings out innovative ideas and concepts. This simple definition of creative writing includes different forms such as; essays, poetry and songs, fiction, scripts, speeches, journals and diaries, biographies, autobiographies, and letters. Let’s understand the different categories.
Most of us will encounter creative writing for the first time in the form of essays. An essay’s purpose is to make a logical argument in response to an argument or a question. Moreover, you are convincing the reader that your response to the question is correct.
Thus, creative writing is essential to convey your content as clearly as possible while also using excellent descriptive writing skills to paint the perfect picture for the reader. Personal writing, such as creating a cover letter for a job or a university application, can also be included in essays. It requires imagination to write something about oneself that keeps the readers hooked.
Excellent creativity and persuasive writing skills will help you in telling your tale to readers and convincing others that you are the right fit for the job.
This is another category for creative writing. Novels, short stories, and other works of fiction are all works that are imaginary. The Cambridge Dictionary defines fiction as any book or story that is written about imaginary characters and events rather than characters based on real people’s lives and events.
As a result, it implies that the author must use imagination to build characters from scratch. Your creative writing abilities will be put to the test, so you’ll need to come up with characters, settings, stories, descriptions, and much more. Creative writing that is fiction in and of itself can take on a variety of styles and be entirely distinct depending on the author.
In creative writing, two writers can produce completely distinct stories and characters. You only need to glance at yourself to see the enormous body of fictional literature to realize how varied creative writing can be, depending on the author.
Like poems, scripts are a form of creative writing that many people find appealing. Technically speaking, a script qualifies as a work of fiction. However, it depends on the specific script. Works of fiction include scripts for fictional television series, plays, and films. The characters and plot of the play, movie, or television show are created by the writer who brings them to life in the screenplay.
Moreover, there are non-fictional scripts as well. You will need to compose a script based on a real-life event if you’re adapting a real-life event for a play or film. The individual uses their imagination to make a real-life event interesting. It’s up to use the individual’s descriptive writing abilities to sell the plot and narrative, even if you already have them. This will keep readers or viewers hooked on the plot and make it interesting.
Poetry and Songs:
This is another example of creative writing. These two types of creative writing are comparable to one another in a way they are based on imagination and depict the writer’s thoughts on a subject. Poetry can come in a variety of shapes and forms, but its objective is to leave an impact on readers.
Quite often, poems have hidden meanings, and interpretation of hidden meanings requires an inclination towards poetry. Some contend that among all creative writing genres, poetry is the most inventive. In songwriting, you use your imagination to create lyrics with profound meanings while simultaneously telling them a tale.
The best songwriters create lyrics that appeal to the people and make them think about the significance. A good songwriter should have imagination and creativity.
A speech is also a form of creative writing. The aim of speech differs depending on the topic. Listening to the speech is an excellent approach to grasp how creative writing can assist in conveying ideas. An orator uses different words to create an impact and express a thought or an opinion through speech. For example, a politician delivering a speech in the House of Commons will try to make a point to persuade the other members of the chamber. The orator writes in such a way as to draw attention towards them.
Letters are addressed to a person. Journal and diary entries are personal accounts describing the writer’s daily events or some unique incident. It is a good example of creative writing where a writer provides a personal description of an event or people. In the past, many renowned writers had their letters published because it allowed them to display their different sides to the readers and convey a message.
Biographies and Autobiographies: These are based on the life of a specific person.
Benefits of Creative Writing
Creative writing in itself is a very constructive activity because it keeps the person occupied and improves writing skills and there are many advantages of creative writing. Here are the advantages listed below-
- Builds confidence- More than a habit, creative writing is a practice that will help the writer to fully develop his or her perspective and writing style. The writer studies different ideas, combines them, and the writes accordingly. This is a good way of gaining knowledge on varied subjects. The writer develops confidence and can write on different topics. Writers who do not write creatively are worried that they may be perceived as boring. By failing to include their perspective on the topics they’re writing about, they unintentionally lose their voice and sound like robots.
- Boosts Imagination- Another advantage of creative creative writing is that it builds confidence. It stimulates the thought process and boosts imagination, encouraging the writer to come up with bright ideas. This enables the writer to redirect his/her attention to other things and look for creative solutions. Creative writing offers the much-needed boost needed to think more creatively and to push limits. This stands true for everyone.
- Clarity of thoughts- It allows the writer to express both thoughts and feelings in a better way. For example, as a marketer planning for the next marketing campaign, he/she might write short fiction about a target customer. This involves picturing the customers, their activity, and their lifestyle. Moreover, this will give clarity in the thought process and will help in deciding about important things to be included in the marketing campaign. This helps you focus on the content and develop clarity.
- Self-Expression– People who regularly engage in creative writing in any form can express themselves without even recognizing it. Such self-expression can be a beneficial approach for writers to deal with the challenging feelings and thoughts they may encounter every day. Experts even concur that creative writing, or artistic self-expression in general, “might contribute to maintenance or reconstruction of a positive identity” for people who have experienced various traumas. This presents you with the chance to sort everything out and proceed in a more constructive manner. You may apply this to your personal life as well, whenever you encounter trauma, stress, or setbacks of any kind.
- Better mental, emotional, and physical health- As per research, expressive writing aids in improved mental, emotional, and physical health. It helps prevent serious illnesses and lower stress levels.
Do check out the highly recommended Data Analytics Courses in Glasgow for career advancement
Creative Writing Courses in Glasgow
1. IIM SKILLS-
The institute offers students the chance to learn to write while they are seated anywhere in the world through its master’s program in content writing. The institute is located in Delhi. The Master Content Writing Course has the advantage of covering a variety of writing genres, including creative writing, SEO writing, blog articles, and many others.
The good news is that they promise internships to the students. They provide affordable courses and help students save time by holding punctual, well-organized classes. The training is hands-on and the course is very practical. The teachers are renowned industry specialists with extensive experience.
Students gain from their industrial perspectives and firsthand knowledge. A dedicated placement cell, lifetime access to course materials, and online support for students are additional benefits. The feedback and testimonials are all positive. IIM Skills is a good choice for those who want to learn creative writing courses in Glasgow.
Contact: +91 9580740740
Have a look at the advanced:
- Creative Writing Courses in Brighton
- Creative Writing Courses in Edinburgh
- Creative Writing Courses in Europe
2. University of Glasgow-
The university’s postgraduate course and research-led creative writing courses in Glasgow are quite challenging and popular in Britain and have helped launch the careers of a number of successful writers namely, Anne Donovan, Louise Welsh, Rodge Glass, Jen Hadfield, Zoe Strachan, Luke Brown, Laura Marney, Rachel Seiffert, William Letford and many others.
It offers post-graduate courses and an online distance learning course too. The courses are Creative Writing M.Litt, Creative Writing M.Litt (Online Distance Learning), Creative Writing MFA, and Creative Writing DFA.
- Creative Writing M. Litt- The duration of the full-month course is 12 months and the part-time course is 24 -months. The students will study two semesters and one optional subject. The fee for UK students is Full-time fee is £10650 and Part-time is £1184 per 20 credits. For international and EU students, the full-time fee is £ 25290 and the part-time fee is £ 11184 per 20 credits split as Year 1: 80 credits (4 x £1,184) for Craft & Experimentation 1 and 2, and Workshops, Year 2: 100 credits (5 x £1,184) for Editing & Publication 1 and 2, and Portfolio.
- Creative Writing M. Litt (Distance Learning) – This online program is 1 year full-time. If you are a working professional or have prior family commitments, the course can also be completed on a part-time flexible study basis over 2 years. The course can also be finished over two years on a part-time flexible study basis if you are already working full-time or have family obligations. The students will study for two semesters and one summer semester ‘Creative Writing Portfolio’. For UK students, the fee structure for a full-time course is £ 10650, and part-time is £ 1184 per 20 credits. For international and EU students, the full-time course fee is £ 22140 and the part-time fee is £ 2460 per 20 credits split as Year 1: 80 credits (4 x £1,184 / £2,460) for Craft & Experimentation 1 and 2, and Workshops Year 2: 100 credits (5 x £1,184 / £2,460) for Editing & Publication 1 and 2, and Portfolio.
- Creative Writing MFA and DFA- Both courses provide you with dedicated, supported time to complete substantial creative work, as well as opportunities to teach writing to undergraduates and apply to be a graduate teaching assistant for other related courses. The DFA also allows you to conduct an extended academic research project informed by your work and practice. MFA is a 2 years full-time; 4 years part-time course and DFA is a 3 years full-time; 5 years part-time course.
Contact details: +44 (0) 141 330 837or firstname.lastname@example.org
3. University of Strathclyde –
The University provides different types of creative writing courses in Glasgow for the UG program, PG program, and Postgraduate research program. Moreover, it provides three types of online courses in creative writing namely; Kindling: Creative Writing for Beginners, Feeding the Flame: Creative Writing for writers, and Inferno: Novel Writing. The three courses have been named Blaze.
Kindling: Creative Writing for Beginners- Their creative writing courses in Glasgow are designed in such a way as to hone their skills. The students will be given different exercises, consisting of various writing tasks, and two long assignments to hone their skills. As part of the course, students can upload/post up to 4,000 words for comments from the teacher and other students.
They will be divided into groups so that every student receives the necessary feedback. The University grants academic credit for each Blaze course. This credit is expressed in terms of the Level 7 Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework (SCQF) university credit points that are available.
The first year of undergraduate teaching of creative writing courses in Glasgow corresponds to level 7. The SCQF model was created to make it simpler for students to comprehend the level of their studies and to compare courses offered by different learning providers. The course has 10 credit points and is an online version of class OS616 Creative Writing for Beginners, which can also be taken as a classroom-based course on the college campus.
Feeding the Flame: Creative Writing for Writers- The creative writing courses in Glasgow is designed for intermediate and advanced writers who want to give and receive feedback in a supportive and motivating environment. As part of the course, students can upload/post up to 5000 words for comments from the teacher and other students.
The course is available on the virtual learning environment (VLE) called Myplace (Moodle). The University grants academic credit for each Blaze course. This credit is expressed in terms of the Level 7 Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework (SCQF) university credit points that are available. The first year of undergraduate teaching corresponds to level 7.
The SCQF model was created to make it simpler for students to comprehend the level of their studies and to compare courses offered by different learning providers. It carries 10 credit points and is an online version of class OS617 Taking Your Creative Writing Further 1 and students can attend regular classes.
Inferno: Novel writing- It is a 10-week creative writing courses in Glasgow that is ideal for immediate or advanced writers. As part of the course, students will post their work, receive comments, and comment on other people’s work. For this, students will be split into groups every student will receive the necessary feedback.
Moreover, students will have to post an outline of goals, a short synopsis or outline of the project, and three main assignments of 1500–3000 words each. There will also be online forums and class discussions. The University grants academic credit for each Blaze course. This credit is expressed in terms of the Level 7 Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework (SCQF) university credit points that are available.
The first year of undergraduate teaching corresponds to level 7. The SCQF model was created to make it simpler for students to comprehend the level of their studies and to compare courses offered by different learning providers. The course carries 10 credit points and is an online version of class OS283 Introduction to Novel Writing. Students can attend regular classes in the college.
Contact details: +44 (0) 141 518 2116
4. City of Glasgow College-
The college offers creative writing courses in Glasgow i.e., Creative Industries: Professional Writing Skills HNC. The course will assist students in acquiring the skills necessary to work in a range of industries. We cover essential freelance skills and business information, as well as writing for TV and radio scripts, short stories, poetry, and journalism.
The Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework places this course at Level 7. This course will groom students so that they choose to make a career as a creative writer, freelance writer, journalist, script editor, scriptwriter, or broadcaster. Previous students have gone on to careers in publishing, script teaching, ghostwriting, and public speaking.
The course is presented in a hybrid format that combines online and in-person instruction. This is provided in a variety of ways, including tutoring, breakout rooms, and one-on-one delivery, and includes a variety of presentations, quizzes, and conversations.
Contact details: 0141 375 5555 or email@example.com
5. Glasgow Clyde College-
The duration of the creative writing courses in Glasgow is 8 weeks. It is a non-certified course. It is for students who are novices in creative writing and want to upskill their writing abilities. The program will motivate students to write stories, and poetry, and experiment with other forms. The course will commence from 31st October 2023. The classes will be held every Tuesday from 7 pm-9 pm at Anniesland Campus of the college.
Must check out the best:
- Creative Writing Courses in Canada
- Creative Writing Courses in Dubai
- Creative Writing Courses in Belfast
Frequently Asked Questions:
What age groups of people can attend the creative writing courses in Glasgow?
The creative writing courses in Glasgow are not designed for any specific age group. People from all age groups who want to try their hand at creative writing can opt for this course.
Do I need any prior experience to pursue creative writing courses?
A course would be preferable if you are a newbie because you will start your learning from scratch. To enroll in creative writing courses in Glasgow, you don’t need any prior expertise. The only prerequisite for writing and creative thinking is enthusiasm. As a creative writer, you mostly need these two things. Have you ever been one of those people who enjoys crafting nonfiction pieces? Or are you more into creating characters and crafting poetry? Then enrolling in a creative writing class will enhance your writing abilities. You can learn various areas of creative writing depending on the types of institutes you attend. The benefit of enrolling in a course is that you can learn new things and build your resume. And that portfolio will open up fantastic prospects for you. You might want to work for a specific brand or as a freelancer.
Will the creative writing courses in Glasgow need a lot of reading?
Every writer should read since reading is a great way to learn. The tone of your writing will be established by reading works by other authors in addition to the guided exercises. You can expand your understanding by reading from a variety of authors and absorbing their information. You learn more when you read more. And you can write more effectively as you learn more. You must read the readings that your course instructor will assign to you. But aside from that, how much reading you do is entirely up to you. Reading is important, but writing creatively is more important.