Many of us choose to dream while others explore. Irrespective of our choices, Canada is the most preferred country to fulfil it. The country offers a plethora of career opportunities in all the streams of industry.
Most of the emerging sectors in Canada have been located in the bigger cities. Among these top sectors, digital marketing has been making tremendous growth in the Canadian job market. In recent years, it has become an indispensable component of every corporate office marketing team, regardless of the domain.
Read ahead to gain an insight into its significance, skills required, and top-notch digital marketing courses in Canada.
History and Evolution of Digital Marketing
According to Theodore Roosevelt, the more one learns about the past better-prepared one will be for the future. Likewise, we look at the journey of digital marketing through a three-decade lifespan:
- In the 1990s, the term ‘Digital Marketing’ was first coined, but the marketers and the experts were not aware of its concept and strategies.
- The digital marketing era began in 1993, with the first clickable web ad banner. HotWired, a commercial online magazine, has purchased few banner ads for promotion and advertising.
- In 1994, digital marketing got a whole new definition due to the first e-commerce transaction and the launch of the yahoo search engine. Most of the companies for a better ranking in the search engine have attempted to booze their websites.
- The launch of Google in 1998 has made a significant impact on digital marketing, due to which the companies ranked on the first page of the search engine has gained a lot of clicks, sales and engagement.
- During the early 2000s, internet users have become more active due to smartphones, social media, and search engines. There was also a shift in customer’s purchasing behavior which is most of them have begun online research on the desired product before buying it.
Marketers have thus been more perplexed. To tackle this issue, few companies, such as Pardot, have introduced a marketing automation platform that allows the marketing professional to monitor the performance of various marketing mediums and promote their products by creating relevant content, advertising via email marketing and websites.
- By the 2010s, the companies started using social media to leverage their business and have one-on-one conversations with customers.
- Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter were the most used media from 2012, where the brands brainstormed ideas to create unique content in the form of humor, quotes, sarcasm, and topical advertising.
- In 2015, content marketing, analytics and cookie were significant milestones in the field of digital marketing.
- By the end of 2017, the social networking sites like Whatsapp, Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn have gained popularity.
- At present, digital marketing has been progressing exponentially from artificial intelligence in marketing to use social media platforms and cookies for better customer support, insights and analytics.
What Is Digital Marketing?
The term digital marketing refers to advertising and promoting a product, brand, or service on the internet via online marketing platforms like social media, email, text, and search engines to reach out to their target audience.
To achieve potential customers, the marketers collect and evaluate the data of different customer behavior, create meaningful interactions through relevant defined content or advertisements. In short, the better you’re aware of customers’ preferences and behavior, the better you can establish a mutually beneficial relationship.
Digital marketing is a valuable asset to businesses irrespective of size and industry. It reaches a large audience of people and also offers other numerous advantages:
- Small to mid-size enterprises can reach out to the relevant leads effectively using similar methods as giant corporations.
- Apart from reaching out to a broader audience, it is relatively affordable.
- A single content piece draws customers to your blogs as long as it is active. An email marketing campaign delivers messages to a potential customer as scheduled. You can alter the schedule or content as per your requirement as well.
- Monitoring is simple using marketing software and platforms that automatically detects the email seen rates, direct purchases made, or the number of a visit to your homepage.
- Collected customer data always tend to be more accurate and specific.
- Real-time interactions with your customers. Therefore, more interactive and engaging content, better active participants in your brand’s story. As a result, one can create a strong sense of brand loyalty.
- There’s a better return on investment, whether online advertisements are paid or free.
Core Elements of Digital Marketing
Almost all businesses have integrated digital marketing into their overall marketing strategy. To incorporate it, we need to delve into the core elements required in the digital marketing courses in Canada. For instance:
1. Search Engine Optimization
SEO plays an integral part in digital marketing courses in Canada. It enhances a website’s visibility on search engine result pages (SERP) when customers search for a product or service related to a business using search engines such as Google. Bots, part of search engines, move from one website to another, gathering information about the pages to place it in an index.
Based on the algorithm evaluation, the higher-ranked pages are first visible for a given query. However, the sole purpose of SEO is to assist a website to rank higher and gain qualified traffic from search engines. The main sub-processes of SEO are – Technical SEO, On-site and Off-site SEO.
2. Content Marketing
It is often used in digital marketing and comes in different forms like text, images, infographics, video, audio, and ebooks. It is an integral part of the digital marketing courses in Canada. Content marketing is successful only when you engage the audience with the right content from awareness through consideration to purchase. The four vital steps to having an effective content marketing strategy are:
- Brand positioning.
- Owned media approach.
- Identifying business goals.
- Strategic plan to achieve them.
The ultimate goal of creating valuable, relevant, and consistent content is :
- To boost credibility.
- To establish and nurture relationships with potential audiences and existing customers.
3. Social Media Marketing
One of the types of marketing approaches using social media platforms to connect better with the audience. It helps to build the brand, profitable sales, and website-driven traffic. The major social media platforms are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Youtube, Pinterest, and Tik Tok, where one can post an image, videos, and other content that keeps the audience engaged.
The added advantage of using social media platforms is that you will understand how well you can interact with your audience because of built-in engagement metrics. Furthermore, you will understand which type of content intrigue the audiences by the number of shares, subscribes, comments, or total clicks to your website. The direct purchase might not be possible for this kind of marketing strategy.
4. Pay Per Click (PPC)
PPC is an internet marketing strategy in which the endorser pays a fee to the provider every time someone clicks the advertisement link. It applies to ads on Facebook, Google, Bing, and other places as well. It is opted by businesses that have budget constraints. PPC relies on keywords where the companies research the targeted keywords applicable to their products or service.
As a result, relevant keywords get a higher number of clicks and eventually higher profits and returns. Furthermore, the algorithm treats each available ad by considering ad quality, keyword relevance, landing page quality, and the bid amount.
PPC is a win-win strategy for both advertisers/endorsers and publishers/providers. Advertisers have an opportunity to endorse their products and services to a specific audience who are actively searching for similar content. On the other hand, the primary revenue stream of a publisher depends on PPC. Pay-Per-Click advertising rates depend on either a flat-rate model or a bid-based model
5. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the oldest and lucrative form of digital marketing that has grown significantly with the internet. The concept is similar to commission-based sales, where the affiliates earn a specific commission every time someone purchases the item through their custom link.
Online retailers like Amazon includes affiliate programs that pay a considerable amount per month to websites that sell their products. Affiliate marketers can choose to endorse the products of just one company or multiples companies.
Affiliates can indirectly be the representatives of your brand where they positively influence other people to buy or connect with your company. So, it is always necessary to establish a connection with another party.
It is also another productive marketing strategy approach. You can connect to the potential customers interested in your brand, products, and services through this medium. Email marketing is simple, but we have to make sure that emails connect with the audience.
To do so, you should have an opt-in list that distinguishes content both in the body and subject line, combines both transactional and promotional emails, and offers a unsubscribe option. However, it is necessary to keep in mind that the prospects view your campaign as a valued service rather than a promotional tool.
7. Digital Public Relations (PR)
Digital PR, content, and SEO marketing go hand in hand. The main goal is to get organic traffic to your website through content creation. The fundamental key to the success of digital PR is to maintain beneficial relationships with journalists, editors, and digital influencers.
Therefore, you can get your well-defined content published on high authority sites which contain larger audiences. To achieve the goals for building and nurturing these relationships, you must follow the steps mentioned below
- Research about the person or brand you want to outreach.
- Compose an email that is crisp, straightforward about information, and will benefit the source.
- Present your valuable content to gain credibility.
- Send a follow-up email that is necessary to build trust in the relationship.
Digital advertising has taken the world by storm. Every company implements digital marketing practices. Due to this prevailing trend of transforming into digital businesses, there is an enormous demand for professionals and are required to uniquely make use of the power of the internet for intriguing prospective customers, engaging the audience, and drawing rewards and revenue.
One has to learn and master the skills to become a successful digital marketer. Here are the top skills that we acquire in the digital marketing courses in Canada:
1. Data Analytics
It is a robust methodology that often results in more conversions through sales. It is the field of research that transforms raw data into valuable insights and also spots patterns.
2. Content Creation
It plays an integral part in the digital marketing world. It is just not about creating high-quality, well-defined, and SEO-friendly content but also about acknowledging the process of effectively engage the audience. Content can be in the form of a blog, video, image, or infographic.
3. SEO and SEM
SEO is a part of SEM. The two main goals of SEO are to get visitors to our website and optimize a website to rank higher in the search result. On the other hand, SEM means search engine marketing. It deals with website traffic by using paid ads to enhance the website visibility on search engines.
Both of them help you to reach out to the audience through relevant content and narrow down your customer database. To be a successful digital marketer, one must have a solid understanding of the dynamics of SEO and a web or all forms of the content optimization procedure.
4. CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
CRM is the backbone of digital marketing. It is a management software tool used to handle customer databases of potential and existing customers, customer interactions, follow-ups, leads, and satisfaction. Businesses of all sizes and domains assemble and interpret CRM data insights to connect with the audience on a more emotional and personal level to build and nurture better relationships.
5. Communication Skills
Marketing is all about communication that gets your brand message across to the audience. Communication is not always about talking, also about listening. A good listener can resonate with their intended audience.
The main goal of communication is to create an impactful message and deliver it clearly, concisely, and relevantly to the customer. Having a different perspective is an added advantage to communicate ideas that relate to and entertains the audience.
6. Social Media
Social media skills are part of marketing campaigns. It is a blend of creativity with an analytical approach. The work involved in it includes writing, visual content, graphic design, and community management.
Social media have a built-in algorithm that helps companies to target their content to intended audiences. Hashtags, posts, paid advertisements are tools to establish a business presence in social media. To succeed in this area, one must possess:
- Flair for creating creative, relevant, and quality content.
- Consistently posting the content.
Digital marketing courses in Canada and other parts of the world offer an abundance of exciting career opportunities for students, professionals, and someone looking to restart a career, regardless of their background. Below listed are few top-notch career opportunities:
- Digital Marketing Manager and Director
- Brand Manager
- Social Media Manager
- Content Developer
- Web Designer
- Blogger and Vlogger
- Digital Influencer
- Email Marketing Specialist
- Search Expert
- SEO/SEM Specialists
- UX Designer
- AI specialist
List of Digital Marketing Courses in Canada
Promoting products, services, and brand business using marketing tools, implementing campaigns, examining customers behavior, Key performing indicators to estimate personal and team performance is part of digital marketing courses in Canada. After comprehensive research, we have narrowed our list down to the best online and offline institutes offering digital marketing courses in Canada:
1. IIM Skills
IIM Skills is a globally certified online training institute. Faculties are industry professionals and focus on delivering a hands-on experience to students.
Course: Digital Marketing Master Course
Course Duration and Fee Structure: It’s a one-month course with three months guaranteed internship. The fee is Rs.29900 + 18%GST.
- First blog for Times of India
- Letter of Recommendation and Certificate
- Lifetime access to training material, course recording, and presentations
Certificate Awarded: Post completion of the program, candidates are awarded the globally recognized IIM skills digital marketing certificate. Moreover, you are prepared for 15 other certifications from Google and Hubspot.
Placement Opportunities with Trusted Brand Partners of IIM Skills:
Reviews and Testimonials
Don’t forget to read the detailed IIM Skills Digital Marketing Course Review
2. Toronto School of Management
Toronto School of Management is a leading university with a mission to provide exceptional academics theoretically and practically. They have partnered with different industries to broaden the experience of students. They offer one of the top digital marketing courses in Canada.
A diploma in digital marketing involves marketing, endorsement, and campaign management through a Pay-Per-Click marketing approach, social media networking, and analysis to derive accurate marketing strategy.
- Introduction to Marketing and Branding
- Google SEO
- Website Building and Design for Marketers
- Google Analytics
- Managing Social Media Sponsored Campaigns
- PPC Marketing with Google Ads
- Campaign Management, Regulations, and Compliance
Certificate Awarded: Candidates on course completion will receive a digital marketing associate certificate.
Course Duration and Fee structure
The academic duration of the course is 24 weeks. The fee for the diploma course is $14,495. For international and domestic students, the cost after the scholarship is $10,495 and $4,276, respectively.
- Build digital advertising campaigns like presentations, websites, brochures, reports, and newsletters.
- Usage of WordPress, HTML and CSS, Google Adwords, and Google Analytics tools.
- Enhance writing and creating content for promotional purposes.
- Run a survey to understand the interests and concerns of key stakeholders.
- Develop, optimize and evaluate PPC campaigns on Google Ads and Bing Ads.
- Improve your resume based on Canadian work experience.
3. Centennial College
Centennial college is a community challenge transformed into a world-class institution. The students have an experience of real-world before even graduating. Therefore, making them job-ready. It deserves a special mention as the provider of digital marketing courses in Canada.
- Coop/ Employment preparedness
- Marketing in a connected world
- Customer Segmentation and Journey mapping
- Online Advertising and Programmatic Trading
- Search Engine and Performance Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Innovation and Change Management
- CRM Strategies
- Digital Transformation Strategy
- Omni-channel Retailing
- Content Creating and Curation
- Web and Conversion Analytics
Course Duration and Fee structure
The course has two semesters. Semester 1 is in the fall, Semester 2 is in the winter. By the end of the semester, there is a summer internship program. For Canadian and international students, the fee totaled $5,408.54 and $17,121.04, respectively.
- Build strategies and tactical plans used in paid, owned, and earned channels to experience maximum digital marketing engagement.
- Latest technologies integrated into designing and execution of marketing programs and multimedia engagement.
- Learn recommended innovative content marketing strategies as per corporate objectives, goals, and brand guidelines.
- Use of Web analytics measurement to examine the effectiveness of digital marketing programs.
- Budget planning and project management principle.
- Initiate strategies for personal and professional development to increase work performance.
4. George Brown College
George Brown is one of the finest and oldest colleges. It provides the students and working professionals with full-time, part-time, and continuing education programs with digital marketing courses in Canada.
Postgraduate Digital Media Marketing
- Database Marketing Strategies
- Applied Business Communication
- Fundamentals of Marketing and IMC
- Paid Media Marketing
- Search Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Introduction to Omni Channel Marketing
- Owned Media Marketing
- Digital Media Marketing Seminar Series
- Strategic Marketing Project
- Analytics for Digital Marketing
Course Duration and Fee Structure
It is a one-year course with two semesters in-class and one semester of work experience. The domestic tuition fee is $4,331.
- Develop a marketing plan that will adhere to the business or organization goals
- Integrated Marketing Communications Plan for a product, good, or service depending on identified market need or trend
- Understanding different marketing strategies for a product, service, brand, finances, ROI, and business goals of an organization.
5. Jelly Academy
The academy founded in 2015 provides one of the best digital marketing courses in Canada. Since then, it has been training corporates to upskill their employees in the digital marketing field. It is a 6-week certificate course, workshops, mentorship training, and event both online and in-class.
Digital Marketing Course
- Social Media
- Google Ads
- Facebook and Instagram Ads
- Google Analytics
- Public relations
Course Duration and Fees Structure
It is a six-week-long live program with one session per week conducted via zoom meeting. The course fee is CAD 3250$.
- Certificates Offered.
- Scholarships provided.
- Industry Expert Faculty.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is digital marketing career in Canada?
Digital marketing has grown exponentially in Canada. There are a plethora of job openings in the main cities.
What is the average salary of the digital marketer in Canada?
The pay scale for a digital marketer in Canada depends on the job role. The average salary one makes is $56.507 per year or approximately $30 per hour. For entry-level positions, it starts at $43,906 per year.
What are the age criteria for pursuing digital marketing courses in Canada?
There is no age limit in learning as well as in this field. Ranging from students to professionals and anyone planning to restart their careers can pursue this course, regardless of your professional background.
Digital marketing is a boon to every industry. Especially, small businesses have better chances to promote their products and brand similar to the giant industries. With the rise of technology, the market approach has also evolved in the short span of a lifetime. It is a field where with minimal effort, one can make a career.
That ends the list of most relevant and informative digital marketing courses in Canada. If you have decided to go ahead and make a career in it, you can enroll in one of the mentioned above courses to hone the required skills and become a successful digital marketer.