How To Build Digital Marketing Career? This question is being asked by many of my blog readers in the year 2018 and before we enter in 2019 I would like to address this question so that everyone can plan and understand insights about How To Build Digital Marketing Career?
Digital Marketing is the fastest growing sector in India & Asian Continental and every year it is producing many career options for people looking for stable and long-term jobs. Many people have approached me on Social Networking Sites like Quora to guide them about best career options in Digital Marketing as there doubt’s on How to build Digital Marketing Career is never solved by any group of experts.
I always have strong feelings for people seeking my help to get more clarity about their career, I like doing it and I will continue serving people with the best possible ways.
With the help of this article, you will get a complete understanding of various
Career Options in Digital Marketing in India.
If we see broadly Digital Marketing offers different types of career opportunities for individuals. Most people don’t get a step-by-step understanding of how to go ahead in Digital Marketing for a long-term stable career, which finally lands them to dissatisfaction. In this article, I will write all options available in Digital Marketing so that everyone can plan their career.
Digital Marketing Career Path
Why Digital Marketing as a career?
In the last decade, Digital Marketing has shown significant results to businesses and more and more businesses have started searching for best digital marketers across the world. Hence, it is proven; the demand of digital marketers in coming years will surely increase with the better pay scale.
As you can see in above-mentioned picture Digital Marketing domain offers jobs for various skills like SEO, SEM, and Content Writing. To get more understanding about how to become an SEO Specialist or Search Engine Marketer you can also do a self-learning course from my previous article Top 30 Digital Marketing Blogs.
Let’s understand job wise digital marketing career offerings.
Email Marketing is one of the most promising jobs for a marketer in today’s Digital Era. Most of the brands were earlier dependent on agencies for their bulk emails campaigns, which finally landed them as a spammer & their effectiveness of email campaigns compromised due to no understanding of customer lifecycle on emails. As per the recent case study by Marketing Sherpa, email marketing is the only channel which gives 256% ROI (Return on investment). Since companies have understood the power of this medium demand of Email Marketers has suddenly increased. An average email marketer earns between 50,000 – 10,0000 a month and it will increase in coming years as less number of good email marketers are present in the world.
Social Media Marketer
Customers and prospects (potential leads) for all brands are available on Social Media sites like (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter) and now a day, these sites are playing important role in customer decision-making. Brands have started communicating about their exclusive services on social media sites to create engagement with their followers. Other than this, social media sites also help brands to maintain their online reputation. Social Media Marketing offers an exciting career option and one of the most engaging ways to work. A typical Social Media Marketer earns between 40,000-80,000 a month.
To become Social Media Marketer one should have good communication skills (writing).
Search Engine Optimization (SE0 Executive)
February 2011 Google launched Panda Search Algorithm which affected many sites, which was following bad SEO practices and it helped those sites which were following right SEO tactics, right after 1 year in April 2012 Google also announced Penguin Algorithm which penalized all those sites which were not following Webmasters guidelines.
Over these years many brands have faced up & down with their ranking results, which has given a direct impact on their revenues. Most of the brands, which was earlier working with SEO agencies, had started building their in-house SEO team to take care of Google Webmasters Guidelines. From the year 2013 onwards, jobs in SEO sector has increased, we have observed SEO Executives or SEO Analyst earns between 25000-50000 a month & annual growth of 20% has been measured.
Search Engine Marketer (PPC Expert)
SEM Expert jobs are high in demand; companies understand that everyone cannot come on rank 1 in Search Engine Ranking Results (SEO) and 97% of potential prospects do not move to page 2 for their searches, now companies do not want to lose their businesses. Google offers instant results through PPC ads (pay per click), which allows brands to advertise their product and services anytime. PPC also allows brands to choose their target audience based on Geographic’s & Language. Interestingly, now Google changed the ads colour and it is difficult to define which one is an ad and which one is SERP results, which has further added value to Search Engine Marketing.
Why do brands want to hire SEM Expert? PPC is an ongoing activity and bid management along with maintaining higher quality score can help brands to save their advisement budget.
PPC experts earn between 50,000-150,000 a month depending on their work.
Brands do not believe in searching for water in deserts area. Optimizing everything makes advertisers successful and this creates a fantastic career option for Data Analyst in the Digital Marketing domain. Analyst plays a critical role in exploring new channels for advertisers and they also optimize ROI. Analyst jobs are high in demand and it is highly paid as well. As fresher Data Analyst Career Starts with 6 lac CTC and it is proved that people with 4+ years of experience earn between 15-25 lac annually.
How To Apply for Digital Marketing Jobs
There are multiple options to apply for a job in Digital Marketing and you can start your career immediately with the help of career consultants or online job portal. For various jobs, you can take help of below mentioned online sites.
- Email Marketing Jobs: As per our research most of the companies like Flipkart, Snapdeal or startup hire from LinkedIn for their Email Marketing Specialist role. If you are searching for Email Marketing role jobs and your updated profile is listed as Email Marketer on LinkedIn, you will automatically get an option for recommended jobs by LinkedIn for you, it’s a free service offered by LinkedIn.
- SEM Jobs: Search Engine Marketing jobs are frequently listed on sites like Shine.com, Naukri.com & Monster.com. Given, SEM jobs are always on priority hiring for any business, you can catch recruiter eyes based on your freshness of resume updated on such job search engine sites. Our advice is you at least log in once in 2 days to get maximum interview calls.
- SEO Jobs: To stay tuned about SEO Jobs make a list of 100 Digital Marketing Agencies in India based on your location preference, share your updated resume with each and every company HR. SEO jobs are frequently in demand in agencies and direct hiring in agencies are always preferable for them as well. Many consulting business companies who hire for SEO profiles do not offer relevant people to these agencies and their hunt for talent like you is always on. So go ahead and grab these jobs right now.
- Data Analyst Jobs: If you are good in analytics skills people will find you to offer these jobs, almost on every top job search sites like IIMJobs, Naukri Premium or LinkedIn premium you can see businesses are looking for hiring talent like yours. Given, these jobs are highly payable jobs you can expect only a few portals or consulting business companies hiring for these profiles in India. Considering high demand and low manpower, you can expect a decent pay scale even at the fresher stage.
Anyone can learn Digital marketing and choose their area of interest from above-mentioned job profiles, there are 2 ways to learn Digital Marketing (a) you can self-learn and explore this medium, however, self-learning takes times (3-4 years). (b) You can learn from training institutes, which offers good hands-on training in Digital Marketing.
Before we move to our final words I would like to mention Top 5 Reasons Why Digital Marketing Will Spoil Your Career if you will not follow these practices.
- Keep Exploring: Digital Marketing is an extremely big medium without any fixed formula for success so keeps exploring, it will help you to build a stable digital marketing career.
- Choose one area: As mentioned above learning entire medium is good but working in all areas will leave you with limited knowledge about each topic and half knowledge is always dangerous, choose one area of interest and start your career.
- Learn from mistakes: Brands like to hire a person who commits fewer mistakes but mistakes will surely be there to learn from all of those mistakes and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
- Networking is not an option: Most of us consider we will reach out to our network only when we need something from someone, avoid this when you are planning to build your career in Digital Marketing. Digital Marketing is all about your networking with people to learn, share and grow together.
- Nothing is Permanent: Digital Marketing will keep evolving so do not settle yourself for short-term success. Do not follow the short path to get ranked. Avoid all types of negative practices; you can follow Google Webmasters to learn their guidelines.
There are few other Career Options in Digital Marketing that can help you to be successful as an entrepreneur or freelancer. Do you have any questions about it? You can use the comment section below to take the discussion forward.
Thank you for reading.